Get theGREENERsurfer Newsletter delivered to your inbox every Monday for free. This is an opt in service and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Blowing Up or Bowing Out?
Who Blew Up?
1. Grant 'Twiggy' Baker. Hats off, salute, cheers, WTF and CONGRATS brother! Twig won the Puerto Escondido Big Wave event held at “the Mexican Pipeline” in massive, heaving barrels. The Durbanite put on an absolute clinic to take the win from some of the biggest names in the big wave scene.
2. Davey Du Plessis – Our favourite firebrand adventurer is back! The Project 1000 ultra marathon maniac is turning his environmental awareness campaign focus to Botswana. The participants are running and cycling North from Gaborone, crossing the Makgadikgadi Pans, traversing Botswana’s ‘Elephant highway’ and ending in Kasane on the banks of the Chobe River. We'd like to wish these environmental warriors a safe and successful adventure.
Familiarize yourself on Botswana's endangered species: Aves – Steppe Eagle(EN). Grey Crowned Crane(EN). Cape Vulture(EN). Lappet-Faced Vulture(EN). White Headed Vulture(CR). Hooded Vulture(CR). White Backed Vulture(CR).
Mammals – Black Rhino(CR). African Wild Dog(EN)
If you haven’t heard about Davey, meet him here. You can also live track their progress here.
3. Plastic free July. Ladies & Gents this is the first of many small step big impact projects we at theGREENERsurfer are supporting and participating in, and encourage you to do so too. It's pretty straightforward and the basic rules are:
1. Attempt to refuse single-use plastic during July.
2. Remember it's not going to be easy! It is a challenge, not a competition so don't worry about being perfect.
3. Collect any unavoidable single-use plastic you buy. Keep in a dilemma bag and share it with us at the end of the challenge.
4. It's up to you regarding how long you participate. You might decide to go plastic-free for a day, a week, a month or longer! However long you choose will still make a contribution. Have a look at the awesome site to register or just find out more here.
Who Blew It?
1. Environmental activists are being taken out mafia style for their opposition to mining, agribusiness and hydroelectric companies., a new report by the NGO Global Witness has revealed. “This is a rapidly growing crisis that is showing no signs of abating,” said Global Witness. As climate change and population growth continue to put pressure on land and natural resources, “without urgent intervention, the numbers of deaths we’re seeing now will be dwarfed by those in the future”. It was found that in 2015 alone there were 185 recorded killings worldwide.
2. Brexit has been effectively termed as an "environmental disaster" by the U.K's The Green Party's leader Natalie Bennet. Will Britain grab the bull and cut the crap? The ruling Conservative party has done very little in advocating and advancing green energy policy and now they have voted themselves away from the partnerships formed within the EU. Many of the important climate agreements will have to be 're-calibrated' and some very important environmental protections may no longer apply and fall away completely.
3. The SABC. No one escapes the cross hairs of the TGS secret agents. We feel 99% sure most of you know but if you've been napping under a palm tree or climbing Everest then you may have missed this. The South African Broadcasting Commission has duly jerked it's knee and decided that they would no longer cover violent protests in its news reporting. Um. Ok. But that's called censorship isn't it? It sounds like they may have just become the official state trumpet. Moral (pun) of the story? Get your news elsewhere.